There are a few essential steps you will need to take to gain admission to study a full degree program at one of our universities. It is always a good idea to contact the ${1} of the university you would like to go to in good time. They will be happy to help you with any questions you have about your application.

They will also be able to tell you about their deadlines and which documents you will need to hand in. This will vary to some extent from university to university. However, the following paragraphs will give you a rough idea about how the admission process works.

Entrance Qualification 

Generally speaking, you need a so-called Hochschulzugangsberechtigung (HZB), which can be translated as a higher education entrance qualification. This is a secondary school-leaving certificate that corresponds to the German Abitur and entitles you to study at a university.

Students with entrance qualifications which are only partly comparable to this qualification may be asked to take an assessment test (Feststellungsprüfung). Foundation courses which prepare students to sit this test are offered by three Baden-Württemberg universities - KIT, Heidelberg University and the University of Applied Sciences Konstanz. These courses usually take one year and include modules with a focus on certain subject areas. To find out whether your school-leaving certificate is the equivalent of a higher education entrance qualification, please check the online admission database of the DAAD.

Restricted Admission 

Many undergraduate degree courses have restricted admission and students will need to have an average grade in their entrance qualification which is  called a numerus clausus or NC. The actual NC required for a particular degree course will depend on the popularity of specific programs and is set by the universities themselves. Please check ahead of time with the local ${1} to get all the relevant information you need for your application.

There are some subjects which have a nationwide NC. At present, these are medicine, pharmacology, veterinary medicine and dentistry. There are more applicants for these degree courses than there are places available. In this case, you must apply directly to the Foundation for Higher Education Admission.

Language Requirements 

If you are planning to study in English, you do not need to provide formal evidence of your knowledge of German. However, you will need to provide evidence of proficiency in English, like TOEFL or the Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency. You should be aware, however, that although you may not need any German skills for your studies, knowing some German will be very important for your daily life and be a huge help in meeting people and finding out about German culture. A good way to learn German is by taking one of the summer language courses offered by our universities or one of the Goethe institutes in Baden-Württemberg

There are two ways you can demonstrate the German skills you will need if you are going to be studying in German: the German language proficiency test  DSH (Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang ausländischer Studienbewerber) or TestDaF (Test Deutsch als Fremdsprache für ausländische Studienbewerber). The DSH can be taken at Baden-Württemberg universities, the TestDaF can be taken at more than 90 locations worldwide. 

Universities of Applied Sciences - Admission 

Applications for all universities of applied sciences in Baden-Wurttemberg are handled by their Center for International Students, which is located in Konstanz. This Center will validate your records and issue the certification you will need in order to apply to the university of applied science of your choice. The Center for International Students also offers prep courses and assessment exams for those who are not directly eligible to take up studies. Please allow some time for the processing of your documents and check the deadlines for validation on the Center's website.


Universities of Arts and Music - Admission 

Special rules apply if you would like to apply for a place at one of the universities of arts and music. In addition to the requirements stated above, you must also demonstrate your artistic talent by submitting an artistic or musical portfolio. This will be evaluated by the admission board. If successful, you will be invited to an artistic ${1} or audition in which your artistic aptitude will be tested. The universities of arts and music offer pre-study courses to prepare prospective students for these exams.

Baden-Württemberg Cooperative State University - Admission 

In order to be enrolled in any of the study programs offered by the Baden-Wuerttemberg Cooperative State University, prospective students first need to apply for a traineeship at any of its cooperative partner enterprises or with any other suitable provider of workplace training. Students can only enroll at the university if they have a signed training contract with a provider of workplace training. Please contact the ${1} at the location where you wish to study for a list of current cooperation partners.


Baden-Württemberg International

Haus der Wirtschaft
Willi-Bleicher-Strasse 19
D-70174 Stuttgart
phone: (++49) 711 / 2 27 87 - 30
fax: (++49) 711 / 2 27 87 - 72