Baden-Württemberg: Achieving Excellence
It is always vital for higher education to anticipate the needs of tomorrow and thus stay ahead of its time. This is why the Excellence Initiative to promote science and education is a real campaign for the highest standards to be maintained. Under the direction of the German Research Foundation, the universities selected will be granted a total of 1.9 billion Euro between 2006 to 2011. This substantial amount will certainly aid universities in further raising the quality benchmark.
The results from the first round, which were announced last week, have delighted universities in the German Southwest. Funding will be supplied to the following universities in three categories making them even more internationally competitive: Graduate Schools, Excellence Clusters, to
promote top research projects, and Future Concepts.
Overview of projects to be promoted in Baden-Württemberg:
- University of Freiburg: Molecular Cell Research in Biology and Medicine (MOBILMED)
- University of Heidelberg: Heidelberg Graduate School on Fundamental Physics
- University of Karlsruhe: Karlsruhe School of Optics and Photonics
- University of Mannheim: Empirical and Quantitative Methods in the Economic and Social Science
Clusters of Excellence:
- University of Heidelberg: Cellular Networks: From Molecular Mechanisms to Quantitative Understanding of Complex Functions
- University of Karlsruhe: DFG-Center for Functional Nanostructures
- University of Konstanz: ”Kulturelle Grundlagen von Integration”(cultural basics of integration)
- University of Karlsruhe: “Concept for the Future of the Universität Karlsruhe”
The results are proof that the universities in the German Southwest not only bring out the best in their students but are also on the right track providing excellent course which meet the needs of the industry.