Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst. German Academic Exchange Service. The DAAD is the world’s largest funding organisation for the international exchange of students and researchers. It is a registered association and its members are German institutions of higher education and student bodies. Its activities go far beyond simply awarding grants and scholarships. The DAAD supports the internationalisation of German universities, promotes German studies and the German language abroad, assists developing countries in establishing effective universities and advises decision makers on matters of cultural, education and development policy.

Degree Programme

Studiengang. A degree programme, e.g. Computer Science, Electronics, Mechanical Engineering.


Tertiary education qualification that may be obtained either at universities (Universitäten) and equivalent institutions of higher education (particularly in social or economic sciences and in natural and engineering sciences) or likewise at Fachhochschulen (in all subjects, with the word ´Fachhochschule - FH´ added to the degree title), and at Cooperative State Universities (with the word ´Duale Hochschule - BA´ added to the degree title).


The Dissertation is an academic research thesis written in order to obtain a Ph.D. degree.

Doctoral Supervisor

Doktorvater/ -mutter. University professor in the function of an academic advisor who guides and counsels a PhD student in the course of his / her academic work.


Wohnheim. Residential accommodation for students. A building primarily providing sleeping and residential quarters for large numbers of people, often boarding school, college or university students.

Dual System

Duales System. Training carried out at two places of learning, i.e. at upper secondary education establishments or institutions at tertiary level and in companies. Trainees either attend the two places of learning alternately or simultaneously.