There are a few essential steps you will need to take to gain admission to study a full degree program at one of our universities. It is always a good idea to contact the International Office of the University you would like to go to in good time. They will be happy to help you with any questions you have about your application.

They will also be able to tell you about their deadlines and which documents you will need to hand in. This will vary to some extent from University to University. However, the following paragraphs will give you a rough idea about how the admission process works.

Entrance Qualification 

Entrance Qualification for Bachelor's Degree
Generally speaking, you need a so-called Hochschulzugangsberechtigung (HZB), which can be translated as a higher education entrance qualification. This is a secondary school-leaving Certificate that corresponds to the German Abitur and entitles you to study at a University.

Students with entrance qualifications which are only partly comparable to this qualification may be asked to take an assessment test (Feststellungsprüfung). Foundation courses which prepare students to sit this test are offered by three Baden-Württemberg universities - KIT, Heidelberg University and the University of Applied Sciences Konstanz. These courses usually take one year and include modules with a focus on certain subject areas. To find out whether your school-leaving Certificate is the equivalent of a higher education entrance qualification, please check the online admission database of the DAAD. Entrance Qualification for Master's Degree Students who want to apply for a Master program, need a relevant Bachelor or equivalent degree. Depending on the University and the Master program you want to apply for, there may be additional requirements or even different application deadlines. In order to verify specifications, please check the website for the Faculty you are interested in.

Restricted Admission 

For many undergraduate courses University admission is restricted. This means that the number of places is pre-restricted. Based on experience, there are far more applicants than available places for the respective Course. This pre-restriction is called NC (Numerus Clausus) and is set by the universities themselves. In such cases, the admission process is more selective and good grades play an important role. Of Course, it isn’t predictable ahead of time how many students will finally apply. That’s why it is also not predictable which grade will finally be sufficient. However, it certainly may be a good idea to apply at more than just one University in order to increase your chances.

There are some subjects which have a nationwide NC. At present, these are medicine, pharmacology, veterinary medicine and dentistry. There are more applicants for these degree courses than there are places available. In this case, you must apply directly to the Foundation for Higher Education Admission.

Language Requirements 

If you are planning to study in English, you do not need to provide formal evidence of your knowledge of German. However, you will need to provide evidence of proficiency in English, like TOEFL or the Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency. You should be aware, however, that although you may not need any German skills for your studies, knowing some German will be very important for your daily life and be a huge help in meeting people and finding out about German culture. A good way to learn German is by taking one of the summer language courses offered by our universities or one of the Goethe institutes in Baden-Württemberg.

There are three ways you can demonstrate the German skills you will need if you are going to be studying in German: the German language proficiency test DSH (Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang ausländischer Studienbewerber) or as an equivalent the telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule, the TestDaF (Test Deutsch als Fremdsprache für ausländische Studienbewerber) or the DSD II (Deutsches Sprachdiplom II). The DSH can be taken at Baden-Württemberg universities. At more than 90 locations worldwide, the TestDaF and the DSD II exams are mainly offered by German schools abroad (DAS) or partner Schools (PASCH) with a strong focus on German as foreign language.

Universities of Applied Sciences - Admission 

Applications for all universities of applied sciences in Baden-Wurttemberg are handled by their Center for International Students, which is located in Konstanz. This Center will validate your records and issue the certification you will need in order to apply to the University of applied science of your choice. The Center for International Students also offers prep courses and assessment exams for those who are not directly eligible to take up studies. Please allow some time for the processing of your documents and check the deadlines for validation on the Center's website.

Universities of Arts and Music - Admission 

Special rules apply if you would like to apply for a place at one of the universities of arts and music. In addition to the requirements stated above, you must also demonstrate your artistic talent by submitting an artistic or musical portfolio. This will be evaluated by the admission board. If successful, you will be invited to an artistic examination or audition in which your artistic aptitude will be tested. The universities of arts and music offer pre-study courses to prepare prospective students for these exams.

Baden-Württemberg Cooperative State University - Admission 

In order to be enrolled in any of the study programs offered by the Baden-Wuerttemberg Cooperative State University, prospective students first need to apply for a traineeship at any of its cooperative partner enterprises or with any other suitable provider of workplace training. Students can only enroll at the University if they have a signed training contract with a provider of workplace training. Please contact the International Office at the location where you wish to study for a list of current cooperation partners.

Universities Admission 

In most cases, applications are handled by the universities themselves. However, especially with regard to Bachelor applications some universities work with uni-assist e.V.
The following list shows you, where your application has to be submitted:

  Applications to be submitted at uni-assist e.V.   
 Applications to be submitted at the University   

  University of Heidelberg
  (only for Medicine Dentistry and Pharmaceutics)  
  Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)

  University of Hohenheim
  University of Freiburg
  University of Konstanz
  University of Heidelberg
  University of Ulm

  University of Stuttgart
  University of Mannheim
  University of Tübingen



Universities do not charge any tuition fee for foundation courses at the Studienkolleg. However, as a Course participant, you are required to pay the Semester contribution, which all enrolled students have to pay. For language courses offered by a University or Studienkolleg tuition fees are usually charged.

Entrance exam Studienkollegs Heidelberg and Karlsruhe:
Good German language skills are a prerequisite (B1 level of the European Framework of Reference for Languages). Applicants for the 'T' Course at KIT, additionally need to show ability in elementary mathematics.

Entrance exam Studienkolleg Konstanz:





Universität Heidelberg Internationales Studienzentrum Studienkolleg


M, T, W,  G, S

Studienkolleg / Sprachenzentrum des KIT (Karlsruher Institut für Technologie)



Studienkolleg an der HTWG Konstanz


 T, W